Board of Commissioners Unofficial Regular Meeting Minutes March 21, 2017← Back
St. Tammany Fire Protection District No. 1
Board of Commissioners
March 21, 2017
The meeting was called to order at 6:01 p.m.
The prayer and pledge of allegiance were done.
ROLL CALL: Chairman Crowley and Commissioners Brackett, Rich, Hoying, and Gay were present.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION-
Swear In: Joseph Geddes, Jr., Louis Melancon (absent)
10 years of Service: Chris Borchers, Jason Cetrone (absent), Jacob Frich (absent), Robert Marquette, Glenn Morris (absent)
Retirement: District Chief Paul Huval- 28 Years of Service
Fire Prevention Officer Van Joffrion- 24 Years of Service (absent)
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Commissioner Brackett made a motion to approve the minutes of the February 21, 2017 meeting. Commissioner Hoying seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously.
OLD BUSINESS – (none)
NEW BUSINESS –
1. Chief’s Report
a) Significant Monthly Events
· New Hires- 1 Firefighter, 1 Communications Officer
b) Discussion: Classification change- Admin. Asst. to Fire Chief- Chief Kaufmann stated that due to the job duties for Fire Records Clerk Cheryl Gross, he is recommending the title change. There will not be additional compensation.
c) Station 13/ HQ – Bid Opening 3/23
· Pre Bid Conference- 3/23 (12 contractors)
d) PIAL Update- Chief Kaufmann stated that the PIAL packet was submitted electronically. He further stated that he was notified that PIAL will be conducting the on-site visit in August.
e) Annual Ethics and BOC Tier II Financial Disclosure- email reminder was sent 1/3/17
f) Update: Capital Strategy Meeting– Chief Kaufmann stated that in the capital outlay meeting, which Commissioners Gay and Hoying attended, all of the capital stock was identified. Additionally, a depreciation schedule was discussed.
Commissioner Hoying stated that the apparatus are strategically placed at the busiest station and as they age they go to less busy stations and then to a reserve status; thus, stretching the life of the apparatus beyond its expectancy.
g) Discussion: Parcel Fee to “Rolling Stock/ Facilities”- Chief Kaufmann requested that needed Parcel Fee funds be designated, for restricted funding, to “Rolling Stock/ Facilities”. (i.e. future apparatus funding).
h) Discussion: Amended Budget- Chief Kaufmann stated that he is not recommending a budget amendment at this time, as there are Resolutions done throughout the year to make budget decisions. He further stated that an amendment could be done at the end of the year.
Mr. Waniewski stated that Resolutions are done to follow where the money is moved within the budget and a master amended revision is done at year end.
i) Public Campaign/ Outreach- Vehicle Extrication Demo- March 25 at 10:00 a.m. (Central Station). There was further discussion on doing public outreach events at public events throughout the community.
j) Operations Reports - Chief of Operations Kuhn discussed the “Operations” report (February) which covers YTD call totals, Hydrants Inspected, NFIRS Incidents, Dollar Loss/ Dollar Save (by Station location), Average Response Time (by Station) and EMS Call Type and Number of Incidents.
k) Maintenance Report- Chief of Operations Kuhn discussed the “Maintenance” report (February) which covered preventative maintenances and major repairs performed.
l) Fire Prevention Report- Chief of Fire Prevention Marquette discussed the monthly “Fire Prevention” report (February) which included Inspections, Public Fire Safety & Education Events, Investigations, and Economic Impact.
m) Training Report – Chief of Training Bauer discussed the monthly “Training” report (December) which included Classes, Certifications and Revenues.
Chief Bauer stated that the Training Academy has a Facebook page and is constantly updated to reflect training that is going on.
n) General Comments- (none)
Commissioner Hoying made a motion to accept the Chief’s report. Commissioner Brackett seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously.
2. SFFA (Slidell Firefighters Association) – Union President Billy Dekemel stated that the PFFA Conference had 301 attendees.
· Gumbo Cook- Off- March 11
· Crawfish Cook-Off- April 22
· MDA Golf Tournament- April 28
There was discussion on a Special Meeting to discuss the Stat.13/ HQ bids that were received on March 23. A meeting will be held on March 28 or March 30.
3. PMI Report
a.) Employee Benefits
b.) Human Resource
1) 2017-014: BOC Resolution (2016 Audit Compliance Questionnaire)
ACTION ITEM: APPROVAL
Commissioner Brackett made a motion to adopt Resolution 2017-014, Relating to the Approval of the 2016 Louisiana Audit Compliance Questionnaire for District No.1. Commissioner Rich seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously.
2) 2017-015: BOC Resolution (Approve Administrative Assistant to Fire Chief Classification)
ACTION ITEM: APPROVAL
Commissioner Brackett made a motion to adopt Resolution 2017-015, Relating to the Approval to Establish the Classification of Administrative Assistant to the Fire Chief District No.1. Commissioner Gay seconded the motion.
Commissioner Hoying made a motion to amend Resolution 20174-015 to change the wording to remove the word “for” District No.1 and reflect “of” District No.1. Commissioner Rich seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously.
Commissioner Brackett made a motion to adopt Resolution 2017-015, as amended. Commissioner Gay seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously.
3) 2017-016: BOC Resolution (Ericksen, Krentel & LaPorte, CPA’s- 2016 Enhanced Audit Engagement)
ACTION ITEM: APPROVAL
Commissioner Brackett made a motion to adopt Resolution 2017-016, Relating to the Approval of the 2016 Enhanced Audit Engagement for District No.1. Commissioner Rich seconded the motion.
Mr. Waniewski stated that the cost for the “Enhanced Audit” is $2,750.00
The motion carried unanimously.
4) Fire Chief Evaluation- Mr. Waniewski stated that the results were very favorable (3.39 out of 4) and were presented to the Board and Chief Kaufmann. Commissioner Hoying and Chairman Crowley thanked Chief Kaufmann for his performance and leadership. Chief Kaufmann thanked the Board and staff for their participation in making the department above average. Chairman Crowley stated that Chief Kaufmann doesn’t have an agenda, and only wants betterment for the department and the services for the people we serve.
c.) Payroll – (none)
d.) FRS (Firefighters Retirement System) – ER contribution rate- 26.5%, effective 7/1/17
e.) VFIS Special Risk Insurance & LWCC-
1) VFIS Renewal Questionnaire- released for 5/6/17 renewal
Commissioner Brackett made a motion to accept the PMI report. Commissioner Rich seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously.
4. Duplantier Hrapman Hogan & Maher, LLP- Mr. DiGiovanni discussed the February financial report.
Commissioner Gay made a motion to accept the February financial report. Commissioner Brackett seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously.
5. Attorney’s Report- (none)
6. Board comments – Commissioner Brackett inquired about the status of the Gala. Chief Kaufmann stated the response has been great and tickets can be purchased from Danyel Muegge. Additionally, we have several corporate sponsors that will be attending. He further thanked the Mayor for allowing the event to be held at the Auditorium, for no cost.
Commissioner Hoying made a motion to adjourn. Commissioner Brackett seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously.
The meeting adjourned at 7:13 p.m.