Board of Commissioners Unofficial Regular Meeting Minutes November 21, 2017← Back
St. Tammany Fire Protection District No. 1
Board of Commissioners
November 21, 2017
The Public Hearing for the 2018 proposed budget was open for comment at 6:00 p.m.
(no public comment)
The Public Hearing was adjourned at 6:01 p.m.
The Regular Meeting was called to order at 6:01 p.m.
The prayer and pledge of allegiance were done.
ROLL CALL: Chairman Crowley and Commissioners Brackett, Rich and Gay were present.
Commissioners Hoying was absent.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION-
New Hire Swear In: Kamron Murphy, Jacob West
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Commissioner Brackett made a motion to approve the minutes of the October 17, 2017 meeting. Commissioner Rich seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously.
OLD BUSINESS – (none)
1. Chief’s Report
a) Significant Monthly Events
• LWCC Meeting- Chief Kaufmann stated that we met with LWCC on November 2 and that we are .2% below industry standard with regards to work related illnesses/injuries.
• Attended HOA meeting (Westchester, Windsor, Abney and Magnolia Subdivisions.)
• PIAL Update- Territory “A” received a Class 2 rating, and Chief Kaufmann stated that there were two minor changes that could be made in Territory “B” to become a Class 2 rating- Chief Kaufman requested to hire three additional firefighters, in December, to increase the minimum manning on each crew, as well as to change the status of Engine 18 (front line pumper) to a reserve engine (Reserve 4).
• Nate After Action- Chief Kaufmann stated that he and Chief of Operations Kuhn attended the “After Action” meeting on Oct. 27
• Station 18 HVAC – Chief Kaufmann stated that there was going to be an upcoming meeting w/McMath Construction, Slidell Refrigeration, Moreau’s A/C and Heating, Dammon Engineering, and LaGrange Consulting on Nov. 28 to discuss the HVAC deficiencies at St. 18.
• Family Day- October 28 – the Training Academy was dedicated to Mr. Norman Francioni at the event.
• 2 new replacement hires- resignation/ termination replacements
• 3 new hires - (Ladder 11- Dec. 2017)
• 2 replacements - (upcoming retirements)
b) St. 13/ HQ – Update – Chief of Administration Duffaut stated that the headquarters slab was recently poured and the first floor framing package was on site. The fire station is being framed and the block walls in the engine room are being constructed.
c) 2018 Proposed Advertised Budget (Resolution under “PMI” report)
d) Public Campaign/ Outreach- Turkey Fry Demo was held Nov. 18.
A live Christmas tree burn will be held on Saturday, December 9 at 3:00 p.m.
e) Operations Reports - Chief Kaufmann discussed the “Operations” report (October) which covers YTD call totals, Hydrants Inspected, NFIRS Incidents, Dollar Loss/ Dollar Save (by Station location), Average Response Time (by Station) and EMS Call Type and Number of Incidents.
f) Maintenance Report- Chief of Administration Duffaut discussed the “Maintenance” report (October) which covered preventative maintenances and major repairs performed.
g) Fire Prevention Report- Chief of Fire Prevention Marquette discussed the monthly “Fire Prevention” report (October) which included Inspections, Public Fire Safety & Education Events, Investigations, and Economic Impact.
Chief Marquette stated that over 14,000 people have been reached this year at their fire education events.
h) Training Report – Chief of Training Bauer discussed the monthly “Training” report (October) which included Classes, Certifications and Revenues.
i) General Comments- Chief Kaufmann stated that members of our Honor Guard attended the services for Chief Leos’ funeral on Nov. 18, and he further stated that our trucks manned their stations so they could attend the funeral.
Commissioner Gay made a motion to accept the Chief’s report. Commissioner Rich seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously.
2. SFFA (Slidell Firefighters Association) – Boot Shake will be held December 2, from 9 a.m. - 1:00 p.m., at Rue Rochelle and Gause Blvd.
3. PMI Report
a.) Employee Benefits - (none)
b.) Human Resource
1) 2017-048: BOC Resolution (Approve 2018 Budget)
ACTION ITEM: APPROVAL
Commissioner Gay made a motion to adopt Resolution 2017-048, Relating to the Approval of the 2018 Budget for District No. 1. Commissioner Brackett seconded the motion.
Commissioner Gay stated that he was involved in the 2018 budget process. He was impressed with the way the budget was constructed and sees no reason not to support it.
The motion carried unanimously.
2) 2017-049: BOC Resolution (FF II- Approve “Like Certification”
ACTION ITEM: APPROVAL
Commissioner Brackett made a motion to adopt Resolution 2017-049, Relating to the Approval to recognize FFII “Like Certification” for District No.1. Commissioner Gay seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously.
3) 2017-050: BOC Resolution (Approve Purchase of Ladder Apparatus)
ACTION ITEM: APPROVAL
Commissioner Brackett made a motion to adopt Resolution 2017-050, Relating to the Purchase of Ladder Apparatus for District No. 1. Commissioner Rich seconded the motion.
There was discussion on the resolution and a motion was made to amend the wording of the resolution to add “due to the multi-truck discount that the district received for purchasing 2 ladders, which is an additional cost savings to the taxpayers.”
Commissioner Brackett made a motion to amend Resolution 2017-050 to reflect the changes. Commissioner Rich seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously.
Commissioner Brackett made a motion to adopt Resolution 2017-050, as amended. Commissioner Rich seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously.
c.) Payroll – (none)
d.) FRS (Firefighters Retirement System) – (none)
e.) VFIS Special Risk Insurance & LWCC- (none)
Commissioner Brackett made a motion to accept the PMI report. Commissioner Rich seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously.
4. Duplantier Hrapman Hogan & Maher, LLP- Mr. DiGiovanni discussed the October financial report.
Commissioner Gay made a motion to accept the October financial report. Commissioner Brackett seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously.
5. Attorney’s Report- (none)
Commissioner Brackett made a motion to accept the Attorney report. Commissioner Gay seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously.
6. Board of Commissioner Comments – After discussion, it was decided that unless something important comes up, there will not be a December Board meeting.
Commissioner Gay made a motion to adjourn. Commissioner Brackett seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously.
The meeting adjourned at 7:05 p.m.